Sunday, January 16, 2011

Boat work and a trip for Arlete

Now it's Dick's turn to dig into the repairs. The areas needing patches have been identified and he was pleased that there weren't as many or as large as he'd feared.

Once the hole is cut, it's easy to see the soft wood and pull it out.


He went over both hulls, softly sanding away all remaining patches of primer and getting the surface ready for a complete layer of Kevlar fiberglass. Materials were ordered from Florida: 146 yards of Kevlar and many gallons of epoxy. On Friday, Dick will drive to Tucson to pick it up. Another cruiser in the yard also has to pick up supplies, so they'll go together in his vehicle.

Tonight we went out for a have-a-good-trip-I'll-miss-you dinner. Tomorrow I'm going to make my way to La Paz, Baja California Sur, to meet up with my son Justin (from Nicolaus CA) and cousin Glenn (from Regina Saskatchewan Canada). I'll be gone for 2 weeks and I'm already excited to see what the boat looks like when I get back.

But wait! Dick told me at dinner that WE will start applying the Kevlar only after I get back. He's figured out a way that I can help so his job of epoxying everything into place will be easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment