Friday, May 3, 2013

Bike ride to E Nicolaus ... and back

In about 3 weeks, I'm flying to St Louis to meet some friends from Roanoke VA. We're going to ride the Katy Trail. I need to be able to ride about 40 miles/day and wondered if I could even do it. Today I rode from Rio Linda to Justin's.  I left at 7 am.  Elkhorn Blvd is a big commute route but there's a very good shoulder as long as cars whizzing by don't bother you.  I'm about to turn right onto the E Levee Road and head north.  

E Levee Rd is narrow and raised, but there's very little traffic.  Over half the ride is on this road.

Riding a bike allows you to see things you would probably miss in a car.


Site of Sterling Caviar Co which I've always heard referred to as "the sturgeon farm."  One of the first grade teachers at Westside Elementary used to bring her class here for a field trip.  Sterling produces 80% of the world's caviar right here in Elverta.


Pacific Avenue, the levee continues on the right.

Highway 99 in the distance.


Justin's house! Time to rest for a couple of hours.

Heading back a different way via Nicolaus Rd to Pleasant Grove Road.

What looked like a very wide driveway was actually a cropduster airstrip.
 
 
Very cool treehouse.

A horse chiropractor?


Better than a "Beware of Dog" sign?

Performance Dogs in Action workout arean:

Ahh, back on the bike trail, just 4 miles or so to home.

I did it.  43 miles total and the afternoon temperature reached 95°.  Maybe a little more training before the Katy Trail would be a good idea. 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree that you see things on a bike that you would never see driving. Spring has finally arrived here after a snowy late winter, and I couldn't be happier riding my bike to work - I see ducks, geese, prairie dogs, so many birds, wildflowers, and beyond. I also once saw an owl, and in the winter I saw a coyote sauntering down the bike path. Glad you're getting out riding, and the Katy Trail sounds like a fun adventure. Mike has been trying to talk me into doing a short (weekend) bike trip, but I'm not sure I'm up for it yet. We'll see if he can convince me. Good luck training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a weekend bike trip sounds like total fun. As long as you don't do too many miles/day your first time out of the gate, you should be fine. I'd say watch out for too much hill-climbing, but in Boulder, that's almost impossible.

    ReplyDelete