Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"Buenas tardes, pasajeros"

"Good afternoon, passengers." This young entrepreneur gets on the bus and rides for only a few blocks. He moves quickly through the bus giving every willing passenger a very small packet of Chiclets gum. Back at the front, he welcomes everyone onboard, sings a short song, and walks back down the aisle collecting money from those who buy the Chiclets or get the packets back.

I asked if I could take his picture, he said no. I offered $5 pesos and he agreed. As he came down the aisle, I raised my camera, but he wagged his finger to say "no." I had to sneak to take the above picture. I wasn't sure what was going on, but shortly he came to sit beside me and posed rather nicely so I could take this picture:


Then he wanted to take my picture. He asked where I was going ("¿A donde va?") and I told him. I asked where he was going. He looked up somewhat surprised and said "Aqui!", whistled to the bus driver, ran up the aisle, and off the bus to begin his circuit again. At about 8 years of age, he was completely engaging and I'll always buy his Chiclets from now on, or perhaps not buy the Chiclets but give him a peso anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment