Friday, December 25, 2009

Bota navideño

Christmas stocking.

I'm not a creative or artistic person. I can follow a recipe and sewing pattern directions and I'm usually happy with the results. But to have an original idea and create has not been possible until now.

Living on a boat means you can't have a lot of "stuff." A Christmas stocking, however, is the appropriate weight and size. We can see the towers of Iglesia San Fernando from the deck of our boat and, for us, represents Guaymas. A couple of weeks ago, I took paper, pencil, and chair to the front of the church and sketched the part that would fit on the curve of the stocking. It was hard to eliminate detail. Tracing the darkened lines was also difficult through the thick white felt. I decided to do only black lines because of daughter-in-law Nicole Docimo, a real artist. You can see her work at her blog: bluebicicletta.wordpress.com or at her Etsy shop: etsy.com/shop/bluebicicletta.
And now, my sincere hope is that I won't make another Guaymas stocking in 2010. I'm hoping for a different port in the world.

2 comments:

  1. I like the stocking! Great job!
    Merry Christmas!
    - thais

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! And you are so wrong--how can you say that you are not creative/artistic??????? I could put many more question marks there because I have seen so many beautiful/creative/artistic things that you've made! Thanks for sharing. That stocking is amazing! Hope you guys had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete