Thursday, June 14, 2012

Conversation: Sister Geraldine

How it began.  "You remind me of my friend from church. I haven’t seen her in several years. I thought maybe you were her.”

Favorite excerpts.  “My name is Sister Geraldine which means ‘fair of face’, I guess that’s why I’m so white… When I ask God to show me how I can serve him, I also say ‘but please don’t let me talk.’ I always say what’s not important at the beginning, and the thing I really want to say comes out last, but it should come out first… I was born a Catholic, became a Protestant, then I was baptized a Christian, and now I’m a Pentacostal… Aloha means hello, goodbye and love. But if you say ‘alohaaa’ with a longer breath at the end, you are sending the love inside you to the other person.”

Sister Geraldine’s husband said not a word but held the umbrella to shade us both. Alohaaa, Sister Geraldine.

No comments:

Post a Comment