Wednesday, June 27, 2012

This week in Reed's Bay

I was in the cabin when I heard people yelling, a woman swearing.
By the time I got on deck with my camera, it was obvious the inflatable kayak was deflating, the woman was swimming toward the boat with one hand in the air holding items that, apparently, should not get wet. (They need a dry sack.) A couple of hours later, I heard very loud grunting. By the time I got on deck with my camera, I could see the woman rowing their dinghy, grunting like Monica Seles with every pull of the oars (I hope she’s the loudest grunter in tennis), and TOWING the boat to a different mooring ball. Her husband stood on the foredeck shouting encouragement and giving directions.

Uh-oh! This is exactly what you don’t want to happen. The mooring gave way or the boat came untied from it.

By the time we got to a better vantage point on land, the boat had been successfully moved to deeper water. Two men were on board, another in the water. Scrapes on the hull were visible, but the boat continued to float.
On board, we discovered the delicious-ness of long beans. The other amazing thing: at the Farmer’s Market they cost less than 1/5 what Safeway charges.

This guy fishes with two poles on a very long and wide surf board WITH an engine.

Goodbye to Suzanne and Joachim - they stayed in Hilo longer than they’d planned, they needed new batteries and new propane tanks - the tanks they had were illegal in the USA.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe your not doing so bad in your dingy after all Arlette.
    They are an important part of the whole cruisers equipment, and must be capable of hard work.
    I actually now have an aluminium with a 15 hp , with buoyancy floats added all the way down each side. I can practically stand on the gunwhale.
    My biggest problem is getting out there to use it these days.
    Sorry , enough dingy talk , I do think I understand and where Dicks thoughts are here.
    Darren

    ReplyDelete