Saturday, June 25, 2011

To Cook's Station

Green Valley Road was still the way to get to Placerville, but too dangerous so we drove to Placerville. I rode this same route about 10 years ago with a couple of girfriends and there have been some great improvements to the route. Like the El Dorado Bike Trail: Crossing Highway 50, to get to Newtown Road:

At this point I've ridden uphill about 9 miles and think this bike tour was a really stupid idea. What makes me think I can climb any kind of a mountain after not riding my bike for 9 months. I may have climbed 500'. I sat on this front porch and waited for Dick, we had lunch and he took over.

Mt Aukum Road:



While I waited for Dick at the turn onto Fair Play Rd, I met Gabriel, a young man in his 20s and his girlfriend, Shenay. He was very friendly, I told him I like his shirt:

We talked about the prospect of legalization, when marijuana first entered main stream culture (for me, it was 1966, first year at UCR), crop-growing being popular in this part of the Sierras. I asked if I could take his picture. "No." How about I just take a picture of your shirt? No face showing. "No. . . but my girlfriend can take a picture with your camera." Soon a car came and picked them up.



I couldn't find my Adventure Cycling map this morning so I got bicycle directions from Google maps. They are not kind, let me tell you. They sent Dick to Slug Gulch Rd - a somewhat feared road with some STEEP climbs. I'm sure there were some 11% grades. But he did it climbing over 3000 feet. I was impressed.

Our AC maps said you could camp behind the store/restaurant.

Not the prettiest campsite we've ever seen, but not the worst either. We were asleep before the sun went down.

Total miles = 84

No comments:

Post a Comment