Thursday, January 3, 2013

To the Sewing Cave

On New Year's Day, I drove to E Nicolaus.  I had a project to complete with a definite deadline and not much time to finish it:  two dolls that hopefully look somewhat like Carolyn and Mark.  You saw version #1 of Mark in the blog post of Dec 1, but I thought I could do better.  I didn't like version #1 of Carolyn so I started from scratch in the afternoon.

By Wednesday night, Carolyn was 90% finished.

This really doesn't look like Carolyn and I sent her an email

sincerely apologizing for the nose.

I think her clothes turned out the best.  Last summer, Carolyn and her two granddaughters made t-shirts that said "Girls Rule."  Carolyn bought a similiar green t-shirt from which I made the doll's t-shirt and then embroidered the hems and words on the front.  I found a 100% wool sweater at a thrift store, washed it in hot water and dried it in a hot dryer.  I used the existing finished bottom edge of the felted sweater and sewed the pieces together with a contrasting blanket stitch.  The button closure came from the epaulets on another felted sweater.

Never fear, Carolyn, pants are on the way.

Being in the Sewing Cave was important.  I could stay up as late as I wanted without a sweet husband encouraging me to come to bed.  No cooking, there were amazing prime rib leftovers in Justin's refrig.  I got online just once/day to check emails but didn't answer any of them and only talked to Dick on the phone once or twice in 3 days.  Work work stitch stitch.  The Sewing Cave is one of my happy places.

No comments:

Post a Comment