Monday, August 30, 2010

To Richland

We went for breakfast at a nearby Dunkin Donuts (another of Dick's favorites). Before I could leave, Dick fixed a flat on my bike. I watched carefully since it's been a long time since I've had to fix a flat. This would turn out to be a very good thing for me to review.

The Salmon River before it empties into Lake Ontario near Port Ontario. From here we turn eastward, and our maps say it begins to get hilly. Hilly? It's BEEN hilly.

We met for a late lunch in Pulaski, then Dick went to buy groceries, and I was going to ride on, but I had another flat tire. I began changing it myself, and did pretty good until the final pumping up. The tires need 60-80 psi, I can usually pump to 40 psi. Dick to the rescue. The flat tire count at this point was A=5, D=1, Bob=1. Now it's late in the day again and we had to rethink the day's goal. We rode another 6 miles to Richland then 2 miles off route to Brenda's Motel and Campground. Hurray for Brenda, she gives a deep discount to bicycle riders so we got a motel room. It was rather rustic, this place is used mainly by fishermen. In fact the motel price will quadruple after September 1 when salmon season opens. There was a plastic trash bag prominently hanging from one of the dresser drawers:

Miles completed = 3888

No comments:

Post a Comment