Thursday, May 13, 2010

To Okanogan

I wish I'd taken a picture of Scot for this blog, but he was very busy yesterday afternoon & evening, and up and out early this morning. I did take a picture of where he lives, which is quite remarkable. He designed and built this 200-square-foot house to demonstrate sustainable living at its best. There is no driveway, none needed, as Scot uses (what else?) a bicycle to get around.

We were up early and ready to tackle pass #3 (of five), Loup Loup. This one is steeper than the previous 2 and I struggled. Only 12 miles, 2400 feet elevation gain. I climb so slowly, maybe 2.5 mph, and I stop frequently. Thank goodness Dick is patient and encouraging. I'm sure I would drive any other riding partner completely crazy.

Tonight we're staying with a Warmshowers host in Okanogan. We are their first guests, but tomorrow brings their second set of guests. Amber and JC took us on a tour of the community farm. Several families live and work here, all working cooperatively.

An amazing array of things were growing: apricots, apples, peaches, nectarines, nuts, peas, tomatoes, garlic, many types of greens (Dick picked some fresh spinach for tonight's quesadillas), garlic, onions, squash, eggplant, and cabbage (I'm sure I've left some out); animals: dogs, dairy goats and chickens.
All of this set on a bluff overlooking Okanogan and the valley below.


We set up our tent on a nicely cushioned spot in the orchard, and carefully avoided the sprinklers.
Not since I was 7 years old (54 years ago), visiting my parents' relatives in Saskatchewan, have I used a true outhouse. But here on this farm, it's the only choice available. It may look simple, even primitive, but there was no smell, a box of lye (it looked like ashes to me) on the floor nearby, which you sprinkled over your deposit when finished.

Miles completed = 324

1 comment:

  1. This looks so cool! Wow! You guys are really seeing the sites! Mike and I were just catching up on your journey, and I can't believe how far you've traveled already---seems like you just left here already! Oh, and the warmshowers system seems great!

    ReplyDelete